Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blakeley's Birth Story

FINALLY...ONE whole month later..here is our precious Blakeley Kate's birth story!

The beginning of our long 9 months was coming to an end...

On Sunday, July 1st, Chad and I had our last day of just the two of us...we went to church and then had lunch with our parents at Effina's (an Italian place in our hometown)...what I thought would be a day of resting a sleeping turned into my mind doing a thousand things and not resting one bit. We are so excited and nervous about what the night had for us. We called in dinner and picked it up and ate dinner at my parents house since it was a little closer to the hospital and we just hung out until time to head that way....we didn't have to be there til midnight and it was only going to take us 15 mins to get here but I was ready at 11:00 and kept asking if we should go! :)

We arrived at the hospital around 11:45pm and was sent to our room. We were in room #3. I was told to undress completely and put on my gown and to get in there bed and someone would be in shortly. A side note: our room was HOT! We were SO uncomfortable ALL night long! The nurses started coming in...at 12:25 my IV was started (this was the worst part of getting ready for delivery...I had never had an IV before and it was NO fun!) At 1:30am, I had blood drawn....and at 2:00am, my pitocin was started. (Let me remind you, I had been dilated to a 1 for almost 4 weeks)....and, I was STILL a 1 when I got there....so frustrating! After being checked often and several hours later...still a 1. Are you kidding me??

At 5:00am, and after not much sleep for me or my husband, our parents were there to spend the day with us. 

 At 8:20am, I was asked if I wanted a epidural....I thought you had to at least be a 4?? The anesthesiologist was going to be in the OR and if I started to progress then he might not be able to come back. Then, YES! I want the epidural and oh my!!...that was the most amazing feeling in the whole world! I was told that would be the worst part, but it didn't hurt at all. Forty minutes later at 9:00am, my doctor came in, checked me and I had only made it to a 2. My pitocin was raised several times and I wasn't progressing. At that time, my doctor broke my water to see if things could get moving along. Several hours passed again, with nurses coming in every few mins to mess with machines and check me...I was slowly progressing and was between a 3-4. My epidural kept fading in my back, so I got another dose of my epidural at 12:35pm...and again at 3:10pm and there were about 5 other times....it just wouldn't stay in my back and that's where all my pain and pressure was. Someone later, a probe was inserted to actually see how strong my contractions were since I was progressing any.

At around 5pm, I was checked again and I was around 5cm dilated and my pitocin was raised again. I was told that my doctor would be in later and if I started hurting or had any pain, to let someone know. That's when the show began!! Around 6, I was having the most awful pain that I had had since I had been there. All of a sudden, I started crying in pain. I told Chad he needed to go find someone and let them know the pain that I was in. A nurse came in and check me...I was a 10!! Right before this, I was to the point where I was ready for a c-section and my doctor was also considering this. She was going to give me about 10 more minutes and then we were going to agree on a c-section. My doctor came in because of my pain (all of our visitors and our parents left the room while I was being checked), and she checked me and looked up at me and said, "You're ready! We're about to have a baby!" WHAT?!? right now?? As ready as I was, it came so soon! My doctor left the room and told our families we were about to have a baby! They were in shock!

The nurses all came in to set everything up and get things ready. (The Braves game was on since that's what we had been watching all night and when it was time for delivery, we couldn't get the tv to turn off!) I started pushing at around 6:35pm and at 7:08pm, the most beautiful girl I had ever seen was born! Blakeley weighed 7 pounds, 0 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long. Her being placed in my arms was the most wonderful feeling...and the look on my husbands face seeing his baby girl for the first time is something I will never forget and he still has that same look for her every time he sees her. He is definitely in love :)

After two days in the hospital, we got to come on July 4th, with our baby!  Our lives have never been the same and I don't see how we ever had life without her. She is our everything.

*Sorry if this story is all over the place...being it's been a month, I don't remember every detail but wanted to have it documented to always go back and read.

Lots of pictures will come soon!















fee

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! I am super nervous about the birthing process more so than after & actually taking care of a baby. I've always heard the hardest part is after labor and labor was the easy part. I am just scared of the entire thought of labor and having to pack hospital bags. Ugh! My husband and I would have not been able to stand the room being hot, I may actually pack our little box fan when we go. December or not. We are snow birds! Haha, I am happy you shared this. Kinda gives me an idea what to expect even though I know all laboratory are different... Congrats! Baby Blakeley has two wonderful parents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right...every delivery is different but it wasn't bad at all...17 hours made for a long day though! The only pain was when I went straight to a 10 and needed more of my epidural and then it helped a lot. After delivery was hard to stand up the first time but I went to WalMart the day we came home from the hospital! you'll be fine! If you have any questions though, just ask!

      Delete